Thursday, June 21, 2007

One Month

One month from this very day, the first day of summer, the seventh and final book of the Harry Potter series is released.

You have just had one of two reactions: either you rolled your eyes, or you thought about where you have the book pre-ordered.

Truth be told, by this time one month from now, I'll be at least half done. Tricia and I each pick up a copy at midnight at our local book store, and already have plans for Livvie to be spending the night at grandma's.

When I got an invite to do 14/48, we actually changed vacation plans so I could do the fest and not interrupt our Harry Potter geekfest.

I've got one burning question, though. I saw a preview for the next Harry Potter flick, which I think wisely (did the studio get Rowling to push the release back? interesting conspiracy) opens before the book is released, and which is the adaptation of my favorite of the books, and I got to thinking - will people care about the movies once they've seen the series to its end? I mean, sure, eventually, but will the conclusion of one eliminate the anticipation of the other?

I think it might. Mid-series, full of speculation, we're driven to any HP we can get. But I feel like once the arc had ended, it can digest for a good many years before I need to seee any interpretations thereof on the screen.

Anyway, how you doin'? You thinking about anything more interesting than this?

Oh, wait, before I forget. Yes, I am big enough a geek I'm re-reading the first six right now in preparation.

EDIT: PS - My first post for RIVET Magazine's blog has just gone live. Check it out.