Thursday, April 26, 2007

It's the new thing, just like the old thing

When blogging hit its vogue-stride, I believe there developed a new trope - the introductory blog post. Really just a technological cousin of the first diary entry, it was a highly self-conscious proclamation of what the blog would be, fueled with all the ill-advised optimism of a New Year’s resolution.

And now, as we enter Blogging 2.0, there is a new trope-ic creature – the guilty apology. What we write when blogging becomes balancing your checkbook, or maybe more accurately becomes sitting down and writing an actual had-written letter to a friend. We occasionally, often as a result of a New Year’s resolution, promise we will write more letters, but the magic wears off quickly, and we accept that it is often just a pain in the ass. Like blogging. Another petty source of guilt that allows us to self-flagellate, and also imagine that someone in the universe, or maybe just the universe itself, notices.

So, should I sound contrite and promise reform? We both know either would be bullshit.

Truth is, I think of things I could write in my blog all the time. I converse with my five readers in my head, but when time comes that I can actually sit in front of my laptop, blogging just don’t make the short list.

I seriously need to earn a fucking buck, and my lack of options for doing so is freaking me out. So, when I have moments, I’ve been trying to make a website/portfolio that doesn’t suck, and have been pounding the net looking for potential gigs. Feeling a little hopeless. I was turned down for a job with the title Request-a-Rhyme Poet on Monday, and today read an interview in Salon.com with a guy that used to work for me in the phone room. Depressed and focused. Awesome.

So, don’t linger here. I’m just gonna start apologizing for not writing more. Go over to JimJewell.com and look around and tell me if I can send prospective employers and editors there. Nothing good will come of this space but every-three-weeks apologies anytime soon.