Sunday, March 11, 2007

Wallflower

They said we were a lock, riding a positive wave at season's end, quality wins. But, today the selection committee decided to overlook the conference record, the late-season wins over top 10 opponents, and my beloved Orange were denied an invitation to the Big Dance.

I'm a bit crushed. The last two years, Syracuse won the conference tournament, so selection Sunday was anticlimatic, they were already in. And this year, I knew there was no such thing as a lock until the brackets come out, but I really wasn't sweating it. EVERYbody said they were getting in. I never prepared myself.

So, I need to find a team to back, and I say why not the Washington State Cougars. They make the tourney once per decade or two, and my wife's family are HUGE supporters. Wazoo is a place where football is king, a state school in the middle of fucking nowhere that turns into Siberia every winter - not the easiest place to recruit. They were good enough this year to grab a #3 seed, and yet they still feel like a cinderella.

Oh, and the best part? Washington State University is the goofiest bunch of hayseed-looking motherfuckers to lace up Chuck Taylor's since Dennis Hopper called the picket fence play.

Seriously, Robbie Cowgill appears to be mildly retarded, a fact not helped by the wispy, pubescent mistake of a beard he's been sporting lately. Derrick Low is a nice player, but this little girl called and she wants her 'do back. And, don't even get me started on Taylor Rochestie (pictured here with mom), whose bedhead and unfocused eyes on the court make him look like a stoner playing NBA Live on his X-Box.

And I'm pretty sure one of their few players of color, and by extension one of the few people of color in Pullman and its immediate environs, is a woman.

Together, they exude a comic presence on the floor. Look at their faces and you expect any one or all of them to break into tongue-lolling guffaws any moment.

But, when they play, they are a damn disciplined team, crisp, well-coached and determined. So, for the next week at least, they're my team.

Besides, maybe I'll score some points with the in-laws. And, anyway, how could anyone root against them when their first-round opponent is named after this dickhead?