Saturday, February 10, 2007

Find Your Voice

I can't sing fer shit. I mainly blame my stepfather, who was stone cold tone deaf and sang to me as a child. That, I believe, is the origin of my tin ear.

It isn't really as bad as all that. I can manage to carry a tune as long as it requires little range, so I tend to sing the songs of crooners like Bing Crosby or Kermit the Frog (Rainbow Connection was once a karaoke staple, and now is a Liv favorite) or deep basses like Johnny Cash or Tennesee Ernie Ford (16 Tons also karaoke and Liv staples).

But, damn but I don't wish I could really sing, like SAHNG, y'know. And, there are a few voices I'd really love to have. John Popper tops the list, with his ability to hit the rapid fire delivery and warble up into the angelic registers. Or Chris Robinson, whose otherwise unremarkable voice can produce those certain tones you need to nail blues and soul. And, of course, Andrew Strong, the kid with that voice, my God, that voice from The Commitments.

I've asked a couple of people this question recently in person, but want to throw it out to my nearly half-dozen loyal readers - If you could have any singing voice in the world, from a singer living or dead, whose would it be?

EDIT Sunday 2/11

If y'all wouldn't mind, I'd love it if you could slide over to JimJewell.com and tell me what you think about my efforts so far. I'm trying to create a big portfolio/resume site as I start looking for work (because I defend my thesis Wed, completing my MA, so there's no excuse after that). Thanks!