Thursday, October 20, 2005

A Rare Capitulation

Because I don't often play any reindeer games, but probably should (but I ain't forwarding this on either)...

10 years ago: I had arrived in Seattle the previous January, was living in a one-bedroom moss pit in Wallingford where my then-fiance (the one I thankfully didn’t marry) was shortly to join me. As she lived in Bremerton, I only had to deal with the harpy on weekends (usually day trips throughout the Olympics), and so drank heavily Sunday through Thursday nights with the eight or so boys that had also moved here from my podunk town of Spencerport, NY. I worked for my uncle’s company, interned at one of the first web marketing companies in the city, and actively pursued a career in advertising (I possess the most aptly-named degree ever – a BS in Advertising). Wrote nothing of merit, didn’t even try, and played a lot of Marvel Overpower.

5 years ago: Was engaging a powerful battle between my desire to vote for Nadar (who has since taken the trolley to Toontown) and the bile that would rise in my throat whenever I looked at the poorly trained monkey that eventually won (cause, y’know, a vote for Ralph wasn’t going to help that). I was unemployed, writing freelance articles for some graphic design journals, had just quit my corporate gig at Washington Mutual and had been dumped by Theatre on the Rocks (long story – ask the Kunda).

1 year ago: Deep in mourning for my friend Julianto, who died of cancer in the spring, and for my academic career, which had been stalled by a combination of my personal loss, finances and the stress of raising a toddler. I was then, as now, the primary caregiver, and just barely figuring out how to do it (in the spring, I had handed in my graded papers on a Friday, moved from Bellingham to Seattle on Saturday, and was fulltime in charge of a 12 month plus two weeks old kid – shock to the system, eh?). On the brighter side, I had also just re-joined the steering committee for 14/48, the world’s quickest theatre festival.

5 snacks: Dill pickles (though my wife hates the smell), tater tots with bbq sauce, english muffins with butter, sweet potato chips, sugar

5 songs I know all the words to: Oh, hell, a lot, but some of my favorites to sing are The Rainbow Connection, Sixteen Tons, Johnny B Goode, Ring of Fire and anything and everything by the Super Sonic Soul Pimps

5 things I could do with $100 million: Pay off debt, buy my mother and wife houses, travel, start a charitable foundation and go to school forever

5 things I would never wear: A Yankees hat, a Buffalo Bills jersey, a Lakers tank top, anything that even resembled New York Rangers paraphenalia, or one of those string ties.

5 favorite tv shows: Lost, Scrubs, Freaks and Geeks, The Daily Show, SportsCenter

5 biggest joys: My baby girl, a good argument, reading a book I thought I would hate yet love, the right song at the right moment, and the Green Bay Packers

5 favorite toys: My iBook, Legos, crayons, the sensibilities of others, and Mr. Johnson