Thursday, October 27, 2005

Fat Dudes and Hot Chicks

But first, a quick word about the philosophy I proceed with. It does not matter what was intended by the author(s) of a text. If you make an observation about a text (really Text, meaning anything that can be read as such, from a novel to a play to a wedding), you can assume intentionality, the possibility of intention, and make interpretations based upon that.

All possible intentionality opens up all possible interpretability, which is why it is so fucking fun to be an English student. You become a god of meaning.

So...

Everyone has noticed the trend, no, that's not it, is it a law? guideline? let's just say dominant trope of the fat, unattractive dude and the hot girl that pervades network TV, and especially commercials. It is so much a constant that we stop making conscious note of it, generally.

But, what is your message, dear medium? Oh, shit, you are the same? Then we shall decide.

How does this fact read to viewers? When a woman sees this as the normalized depiction of a relationship, what does it tell her? What does it tell a man?

Seems to me that the way to read this, to figure out one's position within the context it establishes, is to encourage dissatisfaction among men and satisfaction among women.

A man sees the guy on screen, cast often as ignorant and nigh-always as less attractive than the average man, and thinks "shit, he's bald, fatter than me, so clueless that it seems obvious he is unable to function on his own, and he's with HER? I've got hair, I'm in better shape, I can cook and can choose my own household cleaners, and my wife's ass isn't that firm, and her tits aren't that big. What about me?" He is left wanting, and believing that he is entitled to more.

A woman sees the woman on screen, in control, fit, perfect skin and hair, and then looks at the schlub she is stuck with and thinks "damn, what I wouldn't do for her body and face, and yet she has settled for HIM? Maybe I don't have it so bad. Maybe I better work harder to make sure I don't lose what I've got." Standards are lowered, and a drive to work to satisfy her man instilled.

No, of course, this doesn't work on a base, conscious level. We don't have these actual conversations with ourselves in our head. But, this characterization of the attractive woman and schlub man that is so pervasive as to be an instantly recognizable trope does train the brain to accept that characterization as normal. And there are of course other possible readings, other interpretations of this trope.

I believe that whether intentional in an actual, secret cabal sort of way or not, the reading I present is, in the words of an old prof "another sign of the misogyny that is absolutely de rigueur in Hollywood."

Men, you deserve better. Ladies, be glad of what you got, and now be a good little cupcake and get daddy a beer.