Friday, May 12, 2006

Look! Daddy!

This little anectdote bobbed to the surface of my brain today and I thought I'd share it.

When Liv was somewhere between a year and 18 months, early on in my stay-at-home daddy career, she and I would sometimes sit in front of the computer together and browse museum collections online. I was particularly interested at the time in how infants/toddlers developed aesthetic sensibilties, and liked watching which images she responded to.

She always identified Mama in the pictures, occasionally something abstract but mainly scenes of pretty women. When a picture came up that made the connection for her, she would lurch forward and point at the screen. Mama! Mama!

But never Daddy. I'll admit I lingered on pictures of bearded men hoping to get something, but no.

Until, one day, she did. She pointed and said with authority, "Daddy!" And she has continued to say so any time since that she has seen the picture. Here it is:



It's called "The Tippler."