Monday, November 10, 2008

Rolling Quiet Time

I've been turning the radio off in the car lately. Not switching to a tape (I have a very old car), but just turning the damn thing off.

I tended to have five different radio-listening modes. Either KJR-AM for sports, AM1090 for lefty-talk, KUOW for national NPR programming, KEXP for general music, or the occasional dial-surfing for some groovy tune.

Now, nada.

And it has felt good. I don't know what it says about my mental state that I need this, that I have become more noise-averse. Maybe the intensity of the last few months of Campaign'08 or the rise and fall of child-induced anxiety or just the need to give my brain some free-play time in the hopes I'll have the time and energy and material to write.

It would be unsettling, as neurotically self-conscious as I am, if it weren't so peaceful.