Friday, February 22, 2008

Hey, look under this leaf

Get it? I'd have to turn it over. The leaf. I know, I'm hilarious. We'll see if I end up having to file this under "writing checks my butt can't cash."

Y'see, I wish I could say that the woeful state of this blog was an isolated condition, that I was neglecting it because I've been so busy with other writing endeavors. But, that's just plain not true. I've been barely writing t'all.

There are excuses. There always are. We bought our first home in December. Not that groundbreaking, except we didn't start looking until November. There were 30 days between the start of our search and closing. Whirlwind. And then of course there was the painting and cleaning and moving and cleaning again. All amidst the worse cold-and-flu season I've ever seen. We went over a month and a half without so much as a week of family health. And the hits just keep on comin'. Yesterday I sneezed and threw out my back so badly I crumpled to the floor in a heap.

But, there was still time in there. I just haven't been using it to write. And I'm starting to feel like something inside of me is dying.

I always feel this way at the end of slumps; it's just that this one has been particularly long and bad. I haven't even been feeding my head particularly well, which is sometimes an excuse/reason for putting down the pen.

Anyway, I'm not going to let that piece actually die. I'm declaring myself back, and that includes blogging to some extent. Probably won't see much in the way of "here's what's going down in my life," but I do want top return to using this space for fleshing out and kicking around ideas as they arise.

I'm even going to go out on a limb and set myself an assignment. The evil that kids play. Watch for it. Both of you.