Thursday, August 17, 2006

Happy Fucking Birthday To Me

I turn 34 today. It may well be the least significant possible age to turn. There is little essential difference between a 33-year-old and a 34-year-old. There are no milestones attached. I can't even run for president yet.

To top it off, I kinda mortgaged this birthday. My mother gave me a little cash in July to help fund my Vegas gambling kitty, and Liv and Tricia bought me golf sandals last week. So, no big surprises - I was very capitalistic with my birthday this year, turning it into goods.

But, the girls are still working it. Livvie climbed into bed with me this morning and sang a very quiet Happy Birthday, then brought me the card she made for me, and then led me into the living room where Happy Birthday Daddy! and We Love You! were written on the windows in those bitchin' washable window markers I bought Liv this week. Very cool. And I got a peek at my cake, which was going to be a plain double-stacker, but then the top piece crumbled and Tricia managed, with the help of some of those cob-shaped corn-spearers, turned it into a way cool monster head. Pretty sweet.

And, I imagine I'll be getting rather drunk later.

Just been a bit blue lately, and unable to motivate myself to write much, which always makes me bluer. Staying on top of house chores and Liv trips and projects, but that's about it. I suppose I could force my birthday into a turning point, but that just feels a little more pathetic.

OK, I'll try.

Look out 34! Here I come! It's a whole new woooorld!

*sigh* Yeah, that'll work. Maybe the Jameson will do the trick. 8 hrs and counting down.